Monday, November 19, 2012

What kind of Sail?

     In order to get a better understanding of the differences between the different ways that you can rig a boat for sail, I picked up a book at the library. "The Working Guide to Traditional Small-Boat Sails"
This book is jammed full of information. The downside for me is the incredible amount of jargon and lingo. I realize that the things on a boat are unique and their names come from a long history of sailing and sailors from all corners of the world, but the book is aimed at people who are already familiar with terms like; leech, luff, clew, and snotter.
     After getting about half way through the book, I am starting to understand some terms and get an idea of what kind of sail I want. So I am sacrificing a couple of chopsticks to the cause and making a mast and spar.

First I had to carve off some of the length on the spar
Now I am using the X-acto knife to shave a taper into it.

     I am going to try and make a "Gunter rig" for my little model. The advantage being that all the pieces should be short enough to stow inside the hull of the boat, but still give me enough square footage to move an 8' dinghy. I have some line for the model, but I haven't found a material for the sail yet. I suppose I could use paper, but that just doesn't seem right. I'd like to use something that simulates the action of a canvas or Dacron sail at this scale.

     Couple more photos of the D5 model. The forward deck and Frame A are not installed because I have not decided how I want to step the mast or build it into the boat.

Handsom Transom. Added some flare not on the plans.

I like those curves

Looks like a boat.







No comments:

Post a Comment