Friday, November 23, 2012

Slow Going

     While scratching away at the chopsticks produced a lot of little shavings, it hasn't produced much difference in the taper on the end. I am going to have to take it to the shop and put it to the grinder, or sandpaper or a rasp. In any case, Thanksgiving has put the kibosh on finishing up the model this week. The kids are home from school and we have traveled to the in-laws.
     I have had some inspiration this week. While walking through town, I decided to stop in at a local used book store. It is wall to wall to ceiling books in this place. I was hoping to find a good deal on a boat building book, so I can let the library loan out the ones I've been using. I didn't find anything I couldn't live without, but I did spot a wonderful little book.

The Simplistic Sailboat

     It is written by Dan Hookham and chronicles a summer of sailing he did with his wife and young daughter. As you can see by the cover and the title, this was a modest and economical boat. I am about half way through the book and I really enjoy it. The trip took place in the Puget Sound, around my home town. His philosophy about work and living simply is a little too Walden Pond for me, but I appreciate his sentimental feelings regarding family. He takes note of simple pleasures and shared experiences a family can have while living in close quarters at the constant edge of the wild and outdoor life. That he could make so inexpensive a boat for cruising around the sound, motivates me.
     The other bit of motivation and good fortune occurred while spending Thanksgiving at my in-laws house. My Father-in-law and his other son-in-law replaced the banister on the stairs last year and apparently they had a little SNAFU. This left them with an 8' solid oak stair rail they couldn't use. He was happy to give it to me, so his wife wouldn't have to keep looking at it in the garage. I may make strips out of it for the gunwales or use it to make cleats for my boat. No matter how I slice it, it was a good score.

OAK!


No comments:

Post a Comment