Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Hobby?

     The wife and I had a discussion about my wanting to build a boat.
"This is a hobby; something you do when you retire."
      Ladies, I love you; you know that. But this is one of those things that stings the very soul of a man. Not a dagger, mind you, but a sting.
     In her defense I have been laid off for two months, and she is concerned that my mind is out to sea. And she would like very much for my mind to get another job.
     The best way for me to process all this concern about getting a job and my wife's anxiety is to work on something with my hands. Put my creative mind to work and let my analytical mind wander for a change. So, let's build a model. Yay! And yes I see the irony.
Tracing the plans for the D5 from Bateau.com

     The plans from Bateau.com look pretty good to me. This is a small boat after all, and the parts are fairly simple. Do be mindful not to forget the little Skeg. It is the fin on the rear underside of the boat. I nearly forgot it.
     I grabbed some notebook paper and traced the shapes off of the plans. I intend to cut these out and transfer the shapes to my plywood... I mean Cereal box. Once cut out, I will try to tape them together into a boat.

^Love this book^

     I would like to note one thing, if you are making this yourself. Since the shapes for the frames, transoms, and seats are all symmetrical you can cut those out from the back or front of the cereal box, then flip the piece so the blank side shows out. The sides and bilge panels can be cut either way, as long as you do one from the blank side and one from the side with pictures on it. This way when they go on the boat, you can show the design outside or inside by merely swapping the sides.
     Wish me luck. I'd love to finish it before my wife comes home for lunch, but I don't want to rush it.

No comments:

Post a Comment