Saturday, November 17, 2012

British Crimson

     Second coat of paint.

Model of Bateau.com D5 boat with 2 coats of Model Masters British Crimson

     Again, I had to pick hairs out of my paint job. I saved 4 bucks on the brush, but next time I'll spend a little more money. The fortunate thing is that the paint is pretty forgiving.
     I did notice as I started with the second layer, that your fresh paint can dissolve the first layer. I was trying not to put much paint on and make multiple passes at the same spot to get the coverage I wanted. This did not work. It was best to get the brush medium wet with paint and then lay it on in one pass. Get more paint and then start where your last stroke ended.
     Since I added the gunwales first I had something to hold onto while I painted the Hull. I haven't decided what color to paint the gunwales, but I have to say that the Ziploc blue doesn't look to bad on the transom. I may go with 2 colors on the hull so I can have a waterline.
     In the background you will see the book I am reading, Ultrasimple Boatbuilding by Gavin Atkin. I read this one before, but I must say it makes much more since after having read a couple of other books and spent some time on the internet. Not that the book is complex. There is some jargon, though it is usually explained straight away. Just having the mental pictures in my brain help illustrate the book. I can also see how this authors opinion differ from others. This helps me form an opinion of my own based on the arguments of multiple builders. I can also spot the things that are the same from one book to another. This emphasizes their importance.
     If you want to jump in feet first and whip out something the kids can splash around in. I definitely recommend Ultrasimple Boatbuilding. The Micromouse is the first boat my son has shown any interest in.



No comments:

Post a Comment