Monday, November 5, 2012

Papa Gene

     Mentioned to my grandfather, Papa Gene, that I was interested in building a boat. Turns out he has built four boats. A dinghy, a small row boat, a power boat about 20' for fishing, and the biggest of all was a 42' fishing boat called Four Winds. I guess he sold it before the cabin was put on, because the fishing rights changed in the Puget Sound and he didn't think he could fish with it. Last he heard it was still being used, and had been spotted in Bellingham Bay. If anyone reading this sees it, or knows of it, please let me know. My Papa Gene would love to know how it's doing or see a picture of it.
     Papa Gene is a great wood worker. I wish we lived closer together so he could help me with my projects. He did give me a bench plane to get started. It is a heavy duty Fulton, and worked great with a couple of scraps we tested it on. Something about sending thick curls of wood to the floor really makes me feel like a craftsman already.
My New Toy: A Fulton Bench Plane

     I had planned on starting with a real simple "1 sheet" boat, to get my feet wet, but Papa Gene encouraged me to try a larger, nicer boat. He said he believed I could to it. I think of all the things someone could do to help me, encouragement is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment