Thursday, November 15, 2012

Rear View and Possible name

     Found some inspiration for the rear transom on another website.
Apple Pie Tender

Tracing the Transom

     I started by tracing out the transom. And then made a freehand sketch of the shape I wanted. This shape was inspired by the Apple Pie Tender. It gives my little boat more of a nautical feel and will also strengthen the rear of the boat for a rudder or motor.

Gluing a plate to transom of D5 model

     This part has been difficult to glue. Because I have glued on the rough side, it is absorbing a lot of glue. This will make it a stronger bond, but it causes the piece to swell. I have to keep moving the clips and even added 3 more, to keep all of it held down. It wants to bunch up and pull away from the boat. This is a problem unique to building the model and not the full size boat. Although I am sure that some methods of boat building, like strip canoes, might have something similar happen.
     The shape I drew gave me an idea for the name. My boat has a big rear end and this new piece looks a bit like a tail. I may have to name her after a hippo. Growing up with Hungry Hungry Hippos, it sounds a bit silly, but they are faster than they look in water, and kill a few thousand people a year in Africa. Very manly, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment