Friday, November 9, 2012

Lumbering toward a boat

     So Mega-hardware store, had crap wood for sale. I decided to try a recycler here in town. They have lots of used building material. If I am going to sand and plane it all anyway, who's the wiser?

Pile of trim boards at local recycler

     I was pretty sure I would be hard pressed to find any full size sheets of plywood, and I was right. They had some tables and furniture with big panels, and lot's of boards. These are comprised of old shelves, flooring and trim. I had hoped to find some inexpensive hardwood for the seats and gunwales on my future boat. Unfortunately the recyclers recognize decent wood when they see it, and it is priced accordingly. 3-5 bucks per foot for oak boards. The grain looks good and they are pretty straight, but they have varnish on them, paint splatters, staples and nails. I'll just have to keep my eyes open, for good deals on wood. Or bite the bullet.
     Leave a comment if you have any tips on where to get good deals on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment