Wednesday, November 14, 2012

More Glue and Play-Doh



    I switched to a light colored Play-Doh and that seems to have taken care of the discoloration problem. I recommend removing the Play-Doh once your glue has hardened some. Once Play-Doh dries out it will adhere to the rough sides of your paperboard. I tore the surface of my paper removing a chunk. This wasn't a problem for the side with graphics. They use a coating to get a smooth surface for printing, and it keeps the Play-Doh from adhering to it.
     Elmer's has proven very easy to work with. It is just runny enough to flow into thin gaps and it doesn't dry so fast that it is unforgiving.
     I have found myself using a spare bit of paperboard as an artists paddle. Daubing glue here and there. Scraping it into gaps, or smoothing out blobs. Sometimes I wipe away excess glue with it.
     I did have one instance where a bubble formed in the glue. My inattention allowed it to dry that way. I was able to cut the bubbles out with an X-acto knife and smooth it out with another layer of glue.
     The X-acto knife also came in handy on the skeg. For a full size boat, you would mark the curve under the stern onto your skeg and then cut, plane and sand it to fit. I don't have miniature tools for this kind of work, but I was able to take the edge of the knife and scrape away a nice concave curve into the skeg. It was a little uneven here and there. Once I slathered it with glue, those discrepancies faded away.
     The front tip of the skeg was a little crooked. It got bent while I was scraping it. I didn't put glue on the seam all the way forward, so that I could push the front edge straight with Play-Doh later and glue it when straight.
     One thing I forgot to mention. The skeg is very small when making the model. I knew that it would take quit a bit of pressure being under the boat. To avoid it's breaking, and to give it a wider surface area to glue, I cut a second skeg and "laminated" them together with a layer of glue. You could do 3 layers I suppose, but when it came to scraping it to shape, I was glad to only have 2 layers to deal with. It really is quite strong.
     The work is slow going since I am waiting for the Elmer's to harden before moving to another seam on the boat. This is giving me time to think about making it into a sailing version. And how I would like to paint it. And what to name it.

No comments:

Post a Comment