Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Decided to add gunwales

     I found some very strong little clips at Fred Meyers for fifty cents a pop. I thought they might be useful for my model, or holding chip bags closed, so I grabbed a few.
     Turned out they were great for clamping down my tiny gunwales, while the glue dried.

Clamped gunwales to my D5 model. Plans from Bateau.com

     I used an x-acto knife to cut narrow strips for the gunwales. To make a straight line I used a chopstick.

Cutting the gunwales.

     This worked pretty well except that the gunwales absorbed some of the glue and actually lengthened. This caused them to pull away from a few areas, because they bunched up between the clamps. By removing and repositioning the clamps, I was able to correct most of this. Once they are dry I'll trim the ends and see about adding gunwales to the bow and the stern.
     I am trying to figure out how long the mast should be. My chopstick is only about 7 feet long once you calculate the scale. It seems like it ought to be 10 feet. But I don't having anything that would fit the bill right now. Maybe I'll pick up a piece of dowel at the hardware store.


No comments:

Post a Comment