Saturday, November 10, 2012

"It's cute"

     The wife got a good look at my model today. She is not used to me doing things with Elmer's glue at the kitchen table. I'll have the pipe cleaners and googly eyes out any day now.
     I cut out the remaining pieces of the model using the first set of pieces as template. This will make my life so much easier if I want to make a second model. Especially if I make one out of real wood.



     The downside of tracing a second time, is that the pieces get a little larger each copy you make. The pieces for my model are third generation. I didn't think the difference would matter because the pieces were small, but the reverse is true. A 32nd of an inch on my model would be a 1/4 inch in real life. That adds up quick when you put a transom, side panel, and bow together. I soon realized I would have to make the frames and seats a little wider.

My son needed our bear to try out the dinghy

     Another difficulty I had, was my glue bottles. The lids had been left open and the glue was stuck in the nozzles. A spin through the dish washer loosened up the gunk. I pried the orange caps off and picked the chunks out with a pickle fork. Good as new. In fact I managed to squirt a little to much out when I went to use them.
     Once I had the hull assembled, I tried to fit in the frames and seats. On the real boat, the frames would go before the hull, but I didn't see the point in building a jig to hold up a half cereal box worth of paperboard. In any case trying to fit a seat and frame piece in and hold the boat at the same time wasn't happening. My solution was to pre-tape the seats and frame pieces together.


     In the first picture you will see; frame b and c, and the seat, taped. In the second picture I have flipped them over. In the third I simply popped the seat up.


     When I tested it in place, it fit so well, I put a spot of glue on both sides. Tomorrow it should be solid enough for me to press the seat flat and glue around the remaining edges.
     And not to worry the white glue will all but disappear when it dries.



No comments:

Post a Comment