Sunday, November 4, 2012

Fetal development stage

     For the last couple of years I have been considering building a boat. A confluence of factors has always stood between me and putting my ass in the water with something I have built.
     I can't tell you why I wanted to build a boat to begin with. As I have researched, during my free time, there is this growing allure. This slow seduction.
     This last week I took some definite steps towards building my dream boat. Towards giving in to the temptress.
     Part of any journey I undertake, is research. I don't jump into things half-cocked. I suppose I am over cautious, but I can't get comfortable with an idea until I have fleshed it out in my mind.  To that end I have spent some time at the local library. I can't tell you how much I appreciate our local public library here in Bellingham. They have a wonderful selection. I came home with 150 dollars worth of books about Wooden Boats, and all it cost me was 20 minutes walking.
     This is my first post about my boat dream, so the site is in it's fetal development stage. I'll start adding pictures and links soon. I hope to turn this into a kind of diary and eventually a ship's log.
     Fair warning: I know very little about boat building. My plan is to one day have a boat large enough for my family to take out to the San Juans overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment